Word origin: "nerd" first appeared in Dr. Seuss' book If I Ran the Zoo in 1950:
then, just to show them, I'll sail to Ka-Troo And Bring Back an
It-Kutch a Preep and a Proo a Nerkle a Nerd and a Seersucker, too!"
Nerd (noun) A person who is single-minded or accomplished in a pursuit, usually science or technology. (Here we LOVE books!)
The Top 18 Reasons You May Be a Wells Memorial School Nerdy Book Club Reader
1) You read under the covers with a flashlight when you are supposed to be sleeping.
2) You get mad when someone interrupts your reading.
3) You keep stacks of books throughout your house.
4) You read if you are on vacation (even at the beach)
5) You read in the bathroom, you may even ... READ IN THE BATH!
6) You get angry when you finish a great book because you didn't want it to end
7) On Fridays you take a backpack full of books so you can read on the weekends, but be polite about it when you do
8) You don't hear anything because you are so sucked into your book
9) You read while you are waiting for something (stealing minutes of reading)
10) You still read in the car even though you know you might get sick
11) You read if you have extra time in the morning
12) You prefer reading to other activities
13) You read to avoid a responsibility
14) You spend all your money on books
15) You go to the library and get 10 books
16) You read when your family goes out to eat at a restaurant
17) Your school starts a website about loving reading.
18) When you buy a new purse, it has to be large enough to hold a book.
Think you might be a member?
Talk to Mrs. Y and check out our website: WMS Nerdy Book Club